Dr Who scarf
So far I've done about a foot of the Dr Who scarf. I cast on something like 38 stitches which worked out at 7 inches wide. The actual pattern calls for it to be 12 inches wide (and worn folded over to make it look like 6 inches). This seemed like it would be too big and heavy, especially for the recipient - the original scarf was designed for a 6 foot great hulking bloke!
I'm also going to finish it at around 9 or 10 feet long. We just worked out the pattern knits to 15 feet if you did it all. Eek. Again, that is just too much fabric!
The yarn is knitting up nicely - Sirdar Country Style DK which is 85 acrylic, 15 wool. It has this slight mottling in it which gives the fabric a little more "depth" colourwise.
Had a slight issue with the pattern (and all of the Who scarf patterns seem to suffer from this), they use the term "rows" to refer to garter stitch ridges - and you need 2 actual knitted rows to make one ridge. The first bar is half the depth it should be, but overall this isn't a problem, it still looks good.
Some pictures when I have a little more done. So far I've used purple, beige and bronze.
I was very naughty and bought some yarn on eBay the other day :-) It is natural-dyed pure wool and worked out at 2 UKP per 50g skein. It hasn't arrived yet but I'll blog it when it does. I also ordered some very expensive (NOT) Sirdar Bonus DK acrylic, a whole 99 pence per 100g, for a future Hufflepuff PS/COS scarf. Shades are black and sunflower yellow (bright!). This came from Dianne's Knitting Yarns who have a great range of basic yarns and also a lot of fashion yarns.